The Ed Alexander Scholarship Grant was created to honor the memory of Ed Alexander, a dedicated kayaker and one of the founders of the Kayak and Canoe Club of New York. Its intent is to foster the development of qualified American Canoe Association Whitewater Instructors within the club membership and to maintain a significant teaching presence in the community.
The award will be an amount equal to one-half of the cost of the ACA Certification.
Eligibility and Qualifications:
- Any individual who is a paid member of the Kayak and Canoe Club of New York for at least a full year is eligible for the scholarship. This Scholarship Grant does not discriminate against members on the basis of race, color, or national or ethnic origin.
- The candidate must be over 18 years old.
- The candidate must demonstrate class III kayaking proficiency.
- The candidate must demonstrate a clear commitment to teach.
- Any individual who is a paid member of the Kayak and Canoe Club of New York for two or more consecutive years may nominate a candidate member for consideration.
- Nominations must be submitted to the Instruction Chair in writing.
- The Chair must present the nomination at the next regularly scheduled Board meeting.
- A Board member must second the nomination in order to validate it.
- The sitting board will discuss and determine if the candidate member meets all the requirements set forth above. After sufficient discussion, the Chair shall call for a vote. The vote shall be final and binding.
Restrictions and Commitments:
- Any Board Member who is related by blood or marriage to a candidate member must immediately recuse himself/herself from all aspects of the Scholarship Grant process.
- The candidate member once certified:
- Must join the certified instructors for 1 Annual KCCNY Beginners Instructional Weekend per calendar year.
- Must teach at least four on river “Instructionals” within two years of the completion of the ACA Certification process, utilizing the ACA methods. All Instructionals must appear on the KCCNY Trip Schedule at least 10 days before the listed start date.
- The Kayak and Canoe Club of New York will pay an amount equal to one-half of the cost of the ACA Certification.
- Prior recipients of this scholarship are excluded.
This is an eligible Scholarship Grant that must not be included in your gross income for tax purposes.